Driving Down Data Center TCO: The Value of HelioSeal Technology
With the amount of new data being created and replicated doubling every two years, data center architects have a lot to consider when planning for future growth. Capacity growth is only one piece of the equation. The additional power, cooling and floor space required to operate that extra storage is another, and can add up. Leveraging the inherent benefits of Helium, HGST’s HelioSeal technology delivers today’s lowest TCO for enterprise and cloud data centers through:
- Greater power efficiency – Disks spin more easily in a helium-filled environment, resulting in 23% lower operating power. The 8TB helium drives consume just 5.1 watts during idle operation, a 44% reduction in watts-per-TB compared to conventional 6TB air-based HDDs, creating greener data centers with reduced energy costs and carbon footprint.
- Leading storage density – Helium is essential to maintaining the required reliability for future generation drives beyond 8TB. Industry-leading 8TB capacity in a 3.5-inch HDD footprint, which are plug-and-play in virtually any data center environment, delivers 33% more storage capacity for mainstream applications than competitive 6TB offerings.
- Lower cooling requirements – HGST Helium-filled drives typically run 4˚–5˚C cooler, which lowers power and cooling costs and leads to better field reliability, allowing HGST to increase its MTBF specification for the He6 and He8 drives.
- Better weight-per-TB – Up to 38% lower weight-per-TB for improved environmental conditions in high-density deployments and allows for more storage capacity where building codes enforce floor loading limits.
- Environmental robustness – Use them virtually anywhere, including ambient air, free cooling data centers. Many air-filled drives use a breather filter leading to reliability problems when used in environments with high levels of carbon or dust, or in high altitudes. This problem does not exist with HelioSeal drives as they’re hermetically sealed.
- Value $/TB – Higher volume production for its second-generation 8TB HelioSeal HDD leads to lower cost to the market.
HGST is shipping its 6TB Ultrastar He6 and 8TB Ultrastar He8 helium-filled drives in volume today. HGST’s 10TB Helium HDDs with SMR are sampling with select customers. For more information, please visit:http://www.hgst.com.